We like to think that IIMIF is a program that any young musician could benefit from. But, full-disclosure, there are a few things we aren't, and if you're looking for these things, we want you to know.
5 Things We Aren't
- We are not a huge program that will allow you to drift into the background. We have an intimate maximum capacity of 30 students that allows us to develop a personal connection with each participant. We will know your name as soon as you arrive on campus, and within a few hours, so will everyone else. We work hard to foster a supportive and inclusive environment. It brings a smile to our faces at meal times watching as tables and worlds converge. There’s room for everyone here.
- We are not an orchestral institute. You will not spend mornings and afternoons rehearsing symphonies. Orchestra programs can be wonderful experiences (and if that is what you seek in a summer program, there are plenty of programs that offer that), but we have chosen to focus on a more individualized experience: solo and chamber music. Students get daily coached chamber music rehearsals and receive three private lessons from our incredible faculty.
- We are not a summer "camp.” Campfires, kayaking, and ropes courses are fun (no really, we love them!), but not our priority during our short time together. We're together for just a few days, and we pack it with music-related activities. Our goal is to help you deepen your connection with your instrument and your art. In our immersive experience you will eat, sleep, and breathe music (don’t worry, though - there will be plenty of fun along the way!).
- We are not a summer-long program. If you want to spend the entire summer away buried in music, we’re probably not the right fit for you. We believe that learning bears the best results when students have short term, achievable goals to motivate them. That said, we have also had participants, parents, and teachers tell us that IIMIF offers just as much if not more than an 8-week program! Additionally, IIMIF’s shorter length allows students to combine it with other programs in the summer, should they wish to do so.
- We are not an elite program for “only the best” musicians. While we want hardworking, passionate musicians, we are by no means a program exclusive to students pursuing a career in performance. We love working with musicians who are committed to the mindset of growth, and will do our absolute best to encourage them, wherever they want their musical futures to go. We will dig deep to teach you how to develop technical and artistic skills, giving feedback that you will grow from in the weeks, months, and even years following our program.